[arch-general] makepkg as root

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 02:24:46 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
wrote:

> Linux and BSD user space is software based on other software. Yaourt
> and some other software does need pacman. Pacman needs bash, curl and
> other packages and those packages depend on other packages too.
>
> This policy does only work, when there are agreements about backwards
> compatibility.
>
> makepkg provided the --asroot option and within a major release it
> dropped backwards compatibility. Fortunately it is a minor issue that
> --asroot is dropped, but the real issue is that it already might be a
> fashion not to care about other software, not to care about work flows,
> IOW to be careless, ignorant.

So what exactly is the issue here?

pacman has engaged in healthy thought about the respective pros/cons of
removing --asroot, and you acknowledge that that is all right... therefore
it necessitates mentioning that Just In Case on a completely unrelated note
everyone gets attacked by a vicious case of wanting to drop backwards
compatibility for the lulz, we should remember it is a Bad Thing to do so?

-- Eli Schwartz