[arch-general] makepkg as root

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 05:09:01 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com> wrote:

> An AUR (unofficial package) shouldn't be restricting the development of an
> official package. But, a dialogue regarding any differences surely can take
> place.

No dialog is necessary, it was a straightforward change with absolutely no
impact beyond the impact of running makepkg --asroot by hand instead of by
proxy.

In fact, the only change to yaourt is making yaourt exit when run as root
instead of warning you it's dangerous.

If you think it's solely about building from a root shell; you should
> re-read the thread. It surely has progressed past that dialogue.

Please elaborate about these additional concerns. I see no additional
concerns, it is all about people who would like to build from a root shell.
Whether they should or shouldn't, I don't concern myself, but that is the
issue at hand.
Considering that the actual discussion is about makepkg no longer allowing
you to run from a root shell, that is kind of natural.

(I do not count offtopic discussion as being a concern about this change.)

And as I said in the first place, you are factually incorrect in stating
that the concern is with aur packages. That is FUD originally posted in the
comments on Allan McRae's blog[1] about which the only mention here was
that it too is factually incorrect.
And even if aur packages were broken (it seems there are indeed aur helpers
that run as root) that is still not pacman's fault in this particular case,
that is a bug that bust be fixed regardless in said aur helper.

[1] http://allanmcrae.com/2014/12/pacman-4-2-released/#comment-1250

> Calm down for a bit and don't miss the forrest for the trees.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

I see no forest, merely a lonesome tree on a deserted plain.

-- Eli Schwartz