[arch-general] makepkg as root

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 5 01:56:31 UTC 2015

On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 19:45:10 -0600, Doug Newgard wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 02:32:58 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 19:14:02 -0600, Doug Newgard wrote:
> > > How in the world do "minorities" have anything to do with anything
> > > in this thread?
> >
> > A few people mentioned that they run into issues. Did you miss their
> > messages?
> >
> > For example:
> > On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 19:48:14 +0100, Marcel Kleinfeller wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > [marcel at oompf ~]$ sudo packer -Syu
> > [snip]
> > > makepkg: Ungültige Option '--asroot'
> > > The build failed
> > [snip]
> >
> > The OP should have used LANG=C or LC_ALL=C to get rid of the German
> > messages.
>
> No, I did not miss them, your terminology was just strange. The people
> that have issues need to be educated to do it differently, nothing
> more.                       ^^^^^^^^
                              Do they need a teacher? The reasons to
                              drop '--asroot' are valid reasons. The
                              style it was dropped IMO is a problem.
                              Fakeroot is a Debian thingy. What does
                              happen if the fakeroot developers ignore
                              common sense of backwards compatibility
                              within a major release?
;)

Fakeroot depends on sed. What happens assumed an option for sed should
be dropped within a major release?

Is community spirit out of style?