[arch-general] makepkg as root

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Mon Jan 5 02:16:51 UTC 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 02:56:31 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2015 19:45:10 -0600, Doug Newgard wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 02:32:58 +0100
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > A few people mentioned that they run into issues. Did you miss
> > > their messages?
> > >
> > > For example:
> > > On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 19:48:14 +0100, Marcel Kleinfeller wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > > [snip]
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > The OP should have used LANG=C or LC_ALL=C to get rid of the
> > > German messages.
> >
> > No, I did not miss them, your terminology was just strange. The
> > people that have issues need to be educated to do it differently,
> > nothing more.                       ^^^^^^^^
>                               Do they need a teacher? The reasons to
>                               drop '--asroot' are valid reasons. The
>                               style it was dropped IMO is a problem.
>                               Fakeroot is a Debian thingy. What does
>                               happen if the fakeroot developers ignore
>                               common sense of backwards compatibility
>                               within a major release?
> ;)
>
> Fakeroot depends on sed. What happens assumed an option for sed should
> be dropped within a major release?
>
> Is community spirit out of style?

Yeah, it's not like sed options are defined by POSIX or anything...

Your entire problem here seems to be that you don't like the
development style of pacman. In that case, get involved instead of just
whining about it after the fact. It's been well known that this has
been coming for over 9 months.

And for the record, I have see problem making relatively minor changes
like this with a minor release. If you think it's a problem, you're
going to need a better argument that "it's common sense". What you see
as common sense, I see as arbitrary and artificial restrictions for no
good reason.