[arch-general] Is there a non file manager daemon for automounting like the ones provided by "pcmanfm -d"

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 22:58:26 UTC 2015

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> usermount neither does use GVFS, but caused spin downs and ups.
>
> My WD HDD goes to sleep after 30 minutes. I didn't monitor the LED
> all the time, but after I run
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep smartctl .bash_history
> date ; sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdc
> date ; sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdc
>
> 4 Start_Stop_Count
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count
>
> of smartctl do show if there happened too much spin downs and ups. JFTR
> after 30 minutes the LED should start flashing, when the drive does
> sleep. If nothing wakes up the drive, it should flash after a few hours,
> but here it was on without flashing.

It seems to me, after some trials, udiskie also has similar effects.
Once the partition gets mounted, the disk never goes to sleep.

I don't have this problem with autofs, given autofs unmounts the
partitions after a configurable amount of time, therefore the disks
spin down and go to sleep after being automatically unmounted some
amount of time.

I'm not sure once a partition gets mounted, the disk is able to sleep
any ways.  Maybe only spins down.  Or perhaps it depends on the mount
options.  As I use autofs for known media, for now that's not a
problem (udiskie allows me to ignore specific partitions that I can
handle then with autofs).  When using udisks2 or udisks directly, what
options you provide (which would enable a different behavior)?  As
udiskie allows mount options configuration, that might be a way, :-)

This is the 1st time experimenting with something different than
autofs, so what I just experienced might be due to lack of proper
understanding of udisks2/udiskie...

Thanks,

--
Javier