[arch-general] postgresql 9.3 -> 9.4

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celti at celti.name
Wed Jan 28 20:42:07 UTC 2015

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:25:48 -0800 Andrej Podzimek
<andrej at podzimek.org> wrote:

> Well, version changes that require a non-trivial manual intervention
> are certainly not "routine". There have been many bugfix version
> updates of PostgreSQL that required no action at all. Those would
> definitely qualify as "routine". PostgreSQL minor version changes, on
> the other hand, may be tricky (often requiring a dump and restore)
> and should be, IMHO, always loudly announced.

They ARE routine, though. When dealing with databases anything more
than a bugfix upgrade is suspect and you should be aware of such.
Further, if an upgrade announcement wasn't necessary any time in the
past (the only remotely related announcement was regarding a patched
security vulnerability in Postgres in 2008), I don't see why one is
necessary now. A post-install message is the right place for this.

Regards,
~Celti