[arch-general] postgresql 9.3 -> 9.4

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celti at celti.name
Thu Jan 29 00:45:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:08:47 -0600 Troy Engel <troyengel
+arch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Patrick Burroughs <celti at celti.name>
> wrote:
> >
> > They ARE routine, though. When dealing with databases anything more
>
> Respectfully, they are not routine for what's being discussed.

Perhaps we're running into semantic differences. In terms of running
database software, upgrades of any sort are not routine. In terms of
package management of database software, this is the umpteenth
repetition of a minor version upgrade and incredibly routine.

> Having a PGSQL package release that goes from 9.3 to 9.4 seems crazy
> without letting folks know ahead of time, even if it's a simple
> mailing list post. (the same is generally true for MySQL 5.1 -> 5.5 ->
> 5.6, extending to MariaDB) These database vendors do not consider a
> point release as routine or minor, it's a big deal that requires the
> admin to possibly perform a bunch of work - update a config file to
> work out deprecated settings, run something like mysql_upgrade or
> pg_upgrade to get schema changes and all that stuff. Backups are
> always good. :)

I agree, and a message from pacman as I've multiply stated should be in
place seems perfectly sufficient notification to me — you DO read all
your messages from pacman, don't you?

Regards,
~Celti