[arch-general] Fwd: Kernel panic - after upgrade

Christian Demsar vixsomnis at fastmail.com
Fri Jan 30 23:56:32 UTC 2015

> > So I just installed clamav but when I'm trying to start it with:
> >>
> > 'sudo systemctl start clamd.service'
> >>
> >> I get:
> >> Job for clamd.service failed. See "systemctl status clamd.service" and
> >> "journalctl -xe" for details.
> >>
> >> 'systemctl status clamd.service'
> >>  clamd.service - clamav daemon
> >>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd.service; enabled;
> >> vendor preset: disabled)
> >>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since p 2015-01-30 21:14:04 CET;
> >> 10s ago
> >>   Process: 9693 ExecStart=/usr/bin/clamd (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> >
> > It tells you to look in the logs. Did you do that?!
> > Without wanting to be condescending: I don't think you should be using
> > archlinux if you are not capable of looking through logs and searching
> > google (I found the package for your "error" through a fast google
> > search....)

Honestly, the idea of looking through logs was very foreign to me when I
started using linux. And Arch Linux was my first linux distro I actually
got to know. I think Arch is an excellent place to learn these skills.

Okay, so in regards to ClamAV, I encountered no errors [1] starting
clamd with the service file in the clamav package [2].

[1] http://pastebin.com/vDSrAhje
[2] http://pastebin.com/3Frbkf3B

You should check your service file at
"/usr/lib/systemd/system/clamd.service" and make sure it matches the one
I uploaded to pastebin. If you can link a paste of your log at
"/var/log/clamav/clamd.log", that would help.

Your journalctl log can be captured using:

        journalctl -xe | tail -n 500 | tee journal.log
                        ^^^                  ^^^
                Takes last 500 lines.     Saves and prints output.

Make sure to check these 500 lines that get printed to your terminal for
anything sensitive, like passwords.  NetworkManager doesn't show
passwords in the log, but it does show network SSIDs and connection
protocols, and other bits of information. There's probably more in there
than you would guess (there is in mine).

I had some kernel panic problems I couldn't diagnose with a much-used
MSI P67 motherboard. I'm pretty sure it was a motherboard issue, since
I'm using the same power supply, most of the same RAM, and the same
storage (different motherboard and CPU) and I haven't encountered any
more. If you decide to do a fresh install and you still get kernel
panics, I'd guess it's hardware related. Like a broken SATA port or a
loose connection.

--
vixsomnis