[arch-general] systemd new dependencies impede using OpenRC

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:34:01 UTC 2015

On 01/07/15 09:52 AM, jmcf125 at openmailbox.org wrote:

> Why in the world should util-linux require systemd!? Why do all these
> packages need it when they were fine without it before? I wouldn't like
> to install systemd, but will if necessary. Nonetheless, I don't want it
> to replace OpenRC. What can I do? I want an updated system, but I'd very
> much prefer to have one without systemd

Arch is as much a systemd-based distribution as it is a Pacman-based
distribution at this point. The best options you have available are
switching to a distribution with official support for at least one other
init system without any of systemd installed (Gentoo, Alpine, Slackware,
[...]) or just accepting that Arch is a systemd distribution and
switching to it.

There *are* systemd-based distributions like Debian that aren't (yet)
fully dropping support for other init systems, but Arch never intended
to preserve support for other options when it switched. Debian also
splits systemd into many packages and has various stubs for running
stuff that depends on it without all of it running / installed. It
sounds like you'd be happiest using a distribution where no systemd
components are ever going to be required though, and there are plenty.

Upstreams are integrating support for systemd features and Arch is going
to be enabling them, whether it's sd_notify support or something else.
Packages aren't going to go out of the way to support a niche,
unsupported use case. It's only going to get more painful to swim
against the current as time goes on. The various dbus client
implementations will probably be switched over to using kdbus this year,
for one thing. I'm sure there will be more.