[arch-general] Qemu on Livirt: extra/ovmf being useless

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:52:57 UTC 2015

Godday

I was trying to make EFI booting work on qemu using the GUI that comes
with libvirt. I went ahead installing extra/ovmf. I struggled a bit,
since the injection of EFI firmware into qemu is not accessible
through libvirt and found /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf to be the place to
set it up. However any setup guide to the nvram array gets to have 2
arguments split by a colon, where I just could not figure out what to
put in the second spot.
I went ahead trying ovmf-svn from AUR, which "works", in that it ships
two files, one before (ovmf_code_${short_arch}.bin) and another for
after the colon (ovmf_vars_${short_arch}.bin). I just haven't got that
one to boot from hard drive yet either. That part though, I'm
confident to figure out eventually.
My question focuses around the extra/ovmf bit, which in the case of
libvirt doesn't appear to ship all the necessary pieces. Does the
packager have a working recipe to set up extra/ovmf available under
libvirt? Is it possible to store one's UEFI vars per box?

cheers!
mar77i