[arch-general] Conky autostart problem

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun May 3 14:43:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, 3 May 2015 11:37:58 +0200, Maarten de Vries wrote:
>On 2 May 2015 at 21:13, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 May 2015 11:35:03 -0500, Francis Gerund wrote:
>> >I had no idea a that a config file for XFCE could be used with
>> >Gnome.
>>
>> The *.desktop files in ~/.config/autostart/ are a freedesktop.org
>> specification. Xfce and GNOME follow this specification. The WMs I'm
>> using, JWM and openbox don't use ~/.config/autostart/.
>>
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html
>>

>​Note that you can use a standalone application like dex if your WM
>doesn't start applications from ~/.config/autostart. You can put it in
>your xinitrc​
>
>​or possibly your WM configuration.​

I know.

I'm using the WM's configurations.

Allow me a short off-topic rant about DEs. My intention was only to
explain that usually bloated DEs or DEs that follow the rule to break
the user's work flow or themes when upgrading, such as Xfce4 and GNOME,
follow even odd desktop standards and OTOH e.g. KDE can't be used with
Gimp and Ardour regarding a broken windows handling [1], despite the
claim it follows freedesktop.org specifications. I also never found out
what used by KDE does wake up green drives, for Xfce and GNOME this can
be turned off, by removing gvfs. Btw. it's nice that freedesktop.org
specs DEs often cause issues, when they are installed side by side,
e.g. multiple trash cans on the desktop, issues after using the file
manager of another de, changing wallpapers and even panels.

JFTR the only menus that are really easy to customize, without side
effects, are menus that don't care about the freedesktop.org specs.

In the end we anyway end up replacing terminal emulations of DEs with
ROXTerm, the Editor with our favourite editor etc., so the only
advantage in theory is the eye-candy, but as Xfce4 and GNOME have
proven, themes often only work until the next update.

I never run into issues with the lightweight WMs JWM and openbox. Resp.
they have one drawback, sometimes a window opens under a panel on top
and there's the need to move it using the mouse, while pushing a key on
the keyboard.

As always, JMMV ;)!

[1]
Begin forwarded message: