[arch-general] Why irrelevant updates?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:51:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Francis Gerund <ranrund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay guys, thanks for the info.
>
> I didn't know about and hadn't thought about all the packages in the base
> group being mandatory (or at least "expected" by other packages).
>

> And yes, I find installed automatically, packages for:
> -ext
> -jfs
> -reiser
> -xfs
> and who knows what else . . .
>
> Even though I also am only using ext4 (and a swap partition).

Yes, and those aren't the only things installed in the base group that
aren't really necessary.
-nano
-vi
-mdadm
-lvm2
-cryptsetup
-s-nail
-dhcpcd
-netctl
-licenses

It is what it is. FWIW -- I don't think they are "expected", base is a
guideline and other packages should not be making assumptions (and usually
don't).

I think it could reasonably be expected that one has things like
bash/sed/tar installed, but anything likely to be manually removed from
base I expect to be listed in package dependencies.

-- Eli Schwartz