[arch-general] Subpixel antialiasing

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Sun May 24 21:47:09 UTC 2015

On 05/24/2015 01:52 AM, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I've done a pacman -Syu this morning. The upgrade went fine, all the key
> components are working properly, except a slight issue I'm having with
> chromium. Chromium no longer obeys the subpixel antialiasing, but instead
> has a basic AA mode, without the subpixel hinting. This of course results
> in ugly letters across the board. What's even more weird, other
> applications seem to have it normally, like firefox, xfce4-terminal, etc...
>
> I'm using xfce4. The settings > appearance had subpixel disabled, but once
> enabled chromium still didn't obey the subpixel hinting. I don't understand
> what has changed exactly with chromium, and how do I set it to have
> subpixel once again.
>
> I went through here
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration#Subpixel_rendering
> but I can't really find anything pertinent to my case. Any ideas anyone? :)

In addition to Xresources, I also use a fonts.conf.  My current setup
disables antialiasing and enables full hinting (which is probably not
what you want, so you will have to modify accordingly).

Install fonts.conf to ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf

https://github.com/KlipperKyle/dotfiles/blob/master/fontconfig/fonts.conf

--Kyle