[arch-general] "error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback"

AC router at archlinux.info
Sat May 30 14:23:25 UTC 2015

>On 30 May 2015 at 13:03, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>>>LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> $ grep en /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#" ; grep de /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "#"
>> en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
>> en_GB ISO-8859-1
>> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
>> en_US ISO-8859-1
>> de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
>> de_DE ISO-8859-1
>> de_DE at euro ISO-8859-15
>>
>> I don't understand why "utf8" is generated on my machine.
>
>I already explained that, glibc *internally* normalizes the charset
>part of the locale name.
>(because in the past people would inconsitently use iso88591
>iso-8859-1 iso_8859_1 and other combinations thereof)
>

>ALWAYS use .UTF-8 when setting up the locale.
>
>Can you please also run the command
>
>"LANG=en_US.UTF-8 locale"
>
>also
>
>if "LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 claws-mail" still complains the problem is in
>the application and you should ask upstream.
>

>btw, is there any real issue or just the annoying logs?
>

>--
>damjan

Hey Damjan,

The Ralfs problem comes from trying to run two en_US locales but
with different encoding and I spotted that. But as you mentioned that
glib is involved I did some research and it looks like you and I were
correct:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-March/msg00253.html

Cheers