[arch-general] "error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback"

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Sun May 31 19:20:22 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Jeffrey Tolar too, who was the first who mentions hunspell.
> Regarding the new issue I sent a mail to the Claws list.
> http://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2015-May/013062.html
> Regards,
> Ralf

I've notice from my pacman.log this line:

[2015-05-30 19:39] [ALPM] upgraded hunspell-en (7.1-3 -> 2015.05.18-1)

Notice the curious change in version number style. I've downgraded to
hunspell-en-7.1-3 [1] and it looks fine now.
@Ralf: you can try downgrading instead of manually editing the file
and see if it fixes the issues.

Anyway, I've noticed that besides the wrong encoding, there are some
broken symbolic links in that package, so I submitted a bug report to
the Arch package [2].

[1]: http://seblu.net/a/arm/packages/h/hunspell-en/hunspell-en-7.1-3-any.pkg.tar.xz
[2]: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/45158

More information about the arch-general mailing list