[arch-general] xcompmgr/compton + compositing + fluxbox

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 23:30:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

To enable the Xorg compositing extension with plain fluxbox (no DE),
and be able to use true transparency, I'm using compton (I've used
xcompmgr with worse results), but I experience some problems:

1.-  At times, though fluxbox is still up and running, it stops
managing the non GTK/QT applications, such xterm or rxvt-unicode.  The
only way to get fluxbox to start controlling them again is through a
fluxbox restart.

2.-  At times, when restarting fluxbox due to [1], the X session dies,
and a new login is required.

As I said, with xcompmgr the problems show up more often, both [1] and
[2].  That's why I keep using compton.

Any idea on how to avoid these problems?

In case, I'm calling compton in my ~/.xinitrc, prior to calling
startfluxbox, like this:

compton -bc -o 0.22 -m 0.88 &

I'm not having any particular Xorg configuration to enable compositing.

Some fluxbox setting to take advantage of transparency:

session.screen0.menu.alpha:                  210
session.screen0.slit.alpha:                       210
session.screen0.window.unfocus.alpha:  215
session.screen0.toolbar.alpha:                 210

For rxvt-unicode:

URxvt*.depth:               32
URxvt*.background:      [88]#000000

And for conky:

own_window_argb_visual = true,
own_window_transparent = true,

Don't think those settings will help anything, but just in case...

Thanks,

--
Javier