[arch-general] systemd-networkd and netctl with multiple interfaces

Bennett Piater bennett at piater.name
Wed Nov 11 08:47:25 UTC 2015

Hello!
I installed Arch on my new Thinkpad T450s over the weekend.
Everything works well, but I have a question:

I use systemd-networkd to manage my network interfaces and netctl for
the connections. I set everything up according to (this)[0] and
(this)[1] to get automatic activation of wifi via netctl-auto and
netctl-ifplugd.

My question is as follows: I use i3wm, and i3status shows *both*
ethernet and wifi as connected if I plug in the cable while having a
wifi connection. What does this mean exactly, and how is my traffic routed?

Thanks in advance for clearing that up.

Cheers,
Bennett

[0]:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-networkd#Wired_and_wireless_adapters_on_the_same_machine

[1]:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl#Automatic_switching_of_profiles

--
GPG fingerprint: 871F 1047 7DB3 DDED 5FC4 47B2 26C7 E577 EF96 7808