[arch-general] QT applicacion dies on plain fluxbox, but not on fluxbox on top of LXDE

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:48:41 UTC 2015

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been using plain fluxbox, rather than any DE, for several years
> now.  I use dunst for libnotify server BTW...
>
> However now a days there's an application "hpmyroom" [1], based on QT
> for linux, which dies any time there's an interactive popup.  For
> example deleting a buddy will pop up a dialog to ask whether you want
> to confirm or not.  Or when someone sends a buddy request, a dialog
> pops up to confirm whether to accept it or not.
>
> When using plain fluxbox, "hpmyroom" immediately dies with a
> segmentation fault, when such popups are suppose to happen (nothing
> pops up actually).
>
> Other guys using Arch were not having problems, but they were using
> DEs like XFCE, Gnome, KDE and others.
>
> So I tried LXDE, but using fluxbox instead of openbox.  To my
> surprise, that worked out.  Same fluxbox, just on top LXDE.
>
> Problem is that I don't really want to be running a DE.
>
> I was exploring what would LXDE be providing that I'm not using on
> plain fluxbox with no DE, but couldn't find what it might be.
>
> As mentioned, I was already using a libnotify server, dunst.  I
> changed it for others like "xfce4-notifyd" and "notification-daemon",
> which made no difference.  So I discarded a libnotify issue.
>
> Then the other thing that came to mind, though more relunctantly was
> graphics polkit.  So I called "lxpolkit" (part of lxsession from LXDE)
> on the .xinitrc, prior to calling "startfluxbox", but that didn't help
> either.  So, as I suspected initially, that didn't seem like it.
>
> Arch handles dbus through xinit, when calling "startx" or using "xdm",
> but then just in case I tried manually:
>
> systemctl --user import-environment DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
> dbus-update-activation-environment DISPLAY XAUTHORITY
>
> As expected, that didn't help a bit...
>
> Anyone with some clues as to what I might be missing to keep using
> plain fluxbox?

> [1]  https://www.myroom.hpe.com

Just in case, not that dbus is that automatic, :-)  In my ~/.xinitrc I
hava (I've been having it for some time now):

sysinitdir=/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d
if [ -d $sysinitdir ]; then
  for f in $sysinitdir/?*.sh; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi
unset sysinitdir

And:

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-systemd-user.sh

Provided by xinit does the magic, :-)

Just in case someone was wondering if dbus was really handled
automatically by Arch on non DEs...

Any ways, perhaps someone knows what I'm missing with plain fluxbox to
get the interactive QT dialogs from "hpmyroom" working...

Thanks,

--
Javier