[arch-general] gsl 2.1

Antonio Rojas arojas at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 16 09:30:05 UTC 2015

Doug Newgard wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 00:38:04 -0500 (EST)
> Scott Lawrence <bytbox at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there an intention to update this package straight to 2.1, or to
>> introduce a gsl2 package? I've no problem with putting this on AUR
>> myself, but I don't want to step on toes / waste time.
>>

> gsl 2.0 was just released 2 weeks ago, and the Arch maintainer isn't the
> most active. Have patience.
>
> Putting it in the AUR would just get it deleted. Rule 1 of the AUR is that
> it can't duplicate packages in the official repos.

IMO there are some cases when this is OK, for instance if the API changes in
the new version are big enough that the update needs to be deliberately held
back until all users have been ported. I'm not sure if this is the case here
though, I haven't looked closely at the API changes, but I know there are at
least a few KDE packages that don't build against gsl 2.