[arch-general] Policy about packages and file capabilities

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 18:51:30 UTC 2015

What's the policy about capabilities for executables in Arch packages?

I'm asking since in my setup I'm running wpa_supplicant as the
'nobody' user, but I let it keep the NET_ADMIN and NET_RAW
capabilities (excerpt from the .service file):

User=nobody
SupplementaryGroups=rfkill
CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_RAW

The executable needs to have those capabilities on the executable in
order to keep them when switching to user `nobody`, so I set them
with:

setcap 'cap_net_raw=ep cap_net_admin=ep' /usr/bin/wpa_supplicant

I'd suggest (and send a patch) to add these capabilities in the next
update to the package
if that's acceptable.

PS.
wpa_supplicant is still not updated from version 2.3 which doesn't
work with the wifi interface in the 4addr mode, bridged and with the
-b option of wpa_supplicant.
2.4 and 2.5 work in that scenario. so I hope an update is due.

--
damjan