[arch-general] Rerun bootloader from initramfs

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 14:08:43 UTC 2015

On 20-11-2015 12:59, Bennett Piater wrote:

> I'm afraid I can't help you, but now I'm curious as to why you would
> want to do that :)

For the specific case of self encrypting disks.

When you turn the system on the disk will present what is called a
shadow mbr, where a pre boot authentication (PBA) image is stored. This
image will ask the user for a password (or keyfile or something else) to
unlock the disk, if unlocking is successful only then the "normal" disk
is accessible.
If using a PBA image based on arch, leveraging what is provided by
mkinitcpio, then the sequence is like this: cold boot - run PBA image
and authenticate - reboot - boot "normal" system.

If it could be possible to (re)run the bootloader right from the
initramfs of the PBA image, this time using the bootloader of the
"normal" system, then the intermediate reboot step would not be needed
and would streamline the process a bit (and make it faster).

--
Mauro Santos