[arch-general] Blue/Black Screen of Death with Plasma5

Dutch Ingraham stoa at gmx.us
Mon Oct 19 14:47:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 09:25:45AM +0530, Bhushan Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Dutch Ingraham <stoa at gmx.us> wrote:
> > The backstory:  I bought a new el-cheapo multi-function printer-scanner
> > today and as a consequence installed sane, xsane, and
> > kdegraphics-ksaneplugin.  I did all that while logged into my usual
> > window manager, dwm.  All was fine.
> >
> > Then I wanted to try the kde plugin, so logged into kde desktop and was
> > presented with what appeared to be the blue screen of death (sometimes
> > black).  Plasma seems to start fine, i.e., splash screen goes through
> > its usual motions, then the blue/black screen appears when the desktop
> > usually does.
>
> Can you kill plasmashell and start it again from the terminal, and
> provide output?
>
> i.e from krunner (alt+f2) open konsole, killall plasmashell && plasmashell
>
> --
> Bhushan Shah
>
> http://bhush9.github.io
> IRC Nick : bshah on Freenode

Thanks, everybody.  Since everyone's questions, and the answers, all
are related, I'll respond to Marshall, Bhushan, and Ralf all in this
response:

I've killed and restarted plasmashell and here is the output:

~ $ killall plasmashell && plasmashell
kscreen: launcherDataAvailable: "org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR"
kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 587 , Name:
"DVI-I-2" ) ( "DVI-I-2" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 587 , Name: "DVI-I-2" )
( "DVI-I-2" )
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
last screen is < 0 so putting containment on screen  0
kscreen: Launcher finished with exit code 1 , status 0
kscreen: Service for requested backend already running
Plasma Shell startup completed
kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 587 , Name:
"DVI-I-2" ) ( "DVI-I-2" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 587 , Name: "DVI-I-2" )
( "DVI-I-2" )

I don't normally have an .xsession-errors file, but I created one and
here is the output from starting a session:

X.Org X Server 1.17.2
Release Date: 2015-06-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.0.4-2-ARCH x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux arch 4.2.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct
3 18:52:50 CEST 2015 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux
root=UUID=f72c94ff-cf1f-42dd-9d10-ab716a64b067 rw
Build Date: 17 July 2015  05:38:19PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.8
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Oct 19 08:37:59 2015
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
startkde: Starting up...
Service started, version: 6.2.0
[...]
I/O warning : failed to load external entity
"/home/dutch/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity
"/home/dutch/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"

The only recent plugin installed was the aforementioned
kdegraphics-ksaneplugin; after removing that plugin, the output to
.xsession-errors is the same.

Any thoughts?