[arch-general] PKGBUILD ERROR

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 09:05:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 4:14 AM, mudongliang <mudongliangabcd at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Read the relevant docs and ensure you understanging what the process you
>> are trying to follow is doing.
>>
> I think that installing package always needs root privilege by default.
> So I don't know why this error happens! I remove "sudo" in my command. It
> is successful now.
>     - mudongliang

yaourt homepage, with examples: https://archlinux.fr/yaourt-en

One of the reasons for yaourt (aside for transparently handling AUR) is
that you don't need to use sudo -- yaourt knows when to use sudo, and wraps
that too.

And yaourt doesn't *just* install packages...
Which was your problem. yaourt was acting as a wrapper around downloading
the AUR PKGBUILD and running makepkg. Which was why you decided to use it.
;)

It is advisable to get familiar with the process of building and installing
AUR packages by hand, and only when you are sure of what you are doing,
then use a convenience wrapper.

-- Eli Schwartz