[arch-general] [Solved] Re: PKGBUILD ERROR

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 16:32:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:55 AM, mudongliang <mudongliangabcd at outlook.com>
wrote:

> It is essential to understand the internal theory and operate it by
> hands. Then I will have a deep understanding!
>
> Besides, I first use pacman , but there are some softwares in aur which
> needs yaourt. So I install and use it as the wiki tells me.
>         - mudongliang

 Never just install something because the Wiki tells you! (eek!) Install it
because (and when) you know what problem it is solving.

If you had first become familiar with the manual usage of makepkg, then you
would've known something was wrong with using sudo for yaourt, and you
would've discovered on your own that yaourt is not meant to be run using
sudo. How could it, if one of the things it does is run makepkg -- unless
it does loopy and redundant things to delevate your permissions back down
to user level.

As Ralf said, nothing *requires* yaourt, and indeed some things will blow
up when you try installling via yaourt -- but standard makepkg handles
fine, and indeed so do most AUR wrappers, in the AUR Helpers comparison
chart [1] see the "Clean build" entry for yaourt. ;) [2]

-- Eli Schwartz

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Comparison_table
[2]
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2015-August/031314.html