[arch-general] race condition when upgrading the new ncurses package

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 01:28:44 UTC 2015

On 09/19/2015 06:28 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 11:16:11 +0100, Mauro Santos wrote:
>> You can always do 'pacman -Syuw' until you manage to download all the
>> packages.
>
> A pacman -Syu will do the same as a pacman -Syuw when it can't download
> all packages ;). However, a user perhaps wants to update a few packages
> that are important for development or regarding security issues and
> might try to update other packages some days later, then Syu(w) isn't
> an option. IMO we don't need to discuss this, likely most Arch users
> don't suffer from bad Internet connections. Even if others should have
> bad Internet connections too, it seldom happens that the dependency
> issue for something important as the login shell happens.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Have you considered using delta[1] packages? They're at their best when
in a situation like yours, where the time+cpu patching and recompressing
the packages is significantly less than the time trying to download
hundreds of megabytes over a lousy connection.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Deltup

--
Eli Schwartz