[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:50:30 UTC 2016

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> $ grep gnome-themes-standard /var/log/pacman.log | grep 2016-04
> [2016-04-10 19:57] [ALPM] upgraded gnome-themes-standard (3.18.0-1 -> 3.20-1)
> [2016-04-12 09:33] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -U gnome-themes-standard-3.18.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz'
> [2016-04-12 09:33] [ALPM] downgraded gnome-themes-standard (3.20-1 -> 3.18.0-1)
>
> Now the old look is back :), this not necessarily means that I also got
> rid of GTK hiccups.

:-)

>> If Adwaita really is the culprit, file a bug with GNOME.  That's their
>> domain.
>
> OTOH, GTK2 apps are affected and the GNOME maintainers likely want to
> make GTK2 apps look consistent with GTK3 GNOME apps, so that they
> fit better to the bad design of the GNOME desktop environment. No, I
> dislike insults from upstream, when reporting an issue. I have given up
> to report to this kind of upstream, a long time ago.

Ugh!  Yeah, there probably isn't much a case to be made on their
Bugzilla.  I imagine that they will justify the change as a feature to
"make the geometry of elements match in both GTK2 and GTK3".

The best thing to do at this point is design a GTK3 theme that sucks
less (and maintain it when GNOME makes the arbitrary changes to the GTK3
theming API again).  Clearlooks-Phenix is good.  Perhaps a
Bluecurve-Phenix would be fun too.

(Someone really should adjust the attitude of the GNOME devs.  I am sick
of the crap coming out of GNOME 3 breaking stuff and making other things
ugly.)

--Kyle