[arch-general] Gedit startup issues

Miguel Bernabeu mukik182 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:57:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

I've been bitten by a very similar issue recently on a RedHat system. When
trying to launch from commandline no message is shown and the command
returns soon.

I did an strace of the execution and found out that gedit creates a socket
in a temporary directory (in my case was controlled by $TMPDIR) and
sometimes it wouldn't be deleted when closing gedit. On the next execution,
it would find the socket, try to connect there and close as the syscalls
failed.

If it happens again and no error appears on logs or stdout/stderr, try the
strace. You won't see it on the last line but a bit before, in my case
10-20 lines before the end.

HTH,
Miguel