[arch-general] MSI AMD R7 260x fan speed with AMDGPU

pete nikolic pg.nikolic1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 21:54:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 03:49:53 +0000
Foxtrot Mike via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a little problem with my R7 260x because of which I must check if
> the fan is working at startup. If it isn't, I give the fan a little push
> with my finger so it starts working. The fan gets jammed every fortnight
> or so (I didn't send the fan for repair or warranty claim because I'm
> sooo lazy, and now I am in another country).
>
> Anyway, the point is that I must be able to see my fan speed. Currently,
> I am using AMD Catalyst just because it lets me find out my fan speed with:
>
> aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"
>
> I would like to get rid of this driver and install AMDGPU. Last time I
> tried AMDGPU it was around an year ago, and back then fan monitoring
> fucntion wasn't available. I would like to ask you guys if this function
> is available now? And if not, how can I get fan speed readings without
> the AMD Catalyst software? Any help would be appreciated!
>
> regards,
> Fulcrum

HI .

If your fan needs a poke to get it to run then the bearings are at best dry at worst
failed you can use a little light oil if it is a sleeve bearing  (do NOT be fooled
by a sticker that says ball bearings) almost every one i have seen that claimed ball
bearings are all sleeve bearings which dry out .

If you have time to faf around you can strip the fan remove the sleeve bearing and
soak it in hot oil fora couple of hours then refit it  but your best bet is to
replace the fan unit .

Pete .