[arch-general] MSI AMD R7 260x fan speed with AMDGPU

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Sun Aug 14 21:49:37 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 12:33:46PM +0300, Alex Theotokatos via arch-general wrote:
> When the fan needs some push to start, then you probably have faulty
> capacitor. You can send it for repair on electrician.
> As for your question, maybe lm_sensors might show gpu fan speed.

Just for the record, 99% of all computer fans are brushless fans, and
do not have a starting / run capacitor the way many larger compressor
motors / house fans / AC motors do. PC fans have an internal
microcontroller controlling their operation, so any fail-to-start
problem that is resolved by pushing the fan is definitely a bearing
failure.

PC fans are absurdly cheap, however, so my recommendation would be to
throw it away and buy a new one. You'll spend more time and effort
trying to fix the fan than a new fan is worth.

--Sean