[arch-general] Opinions on PowerShell?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:00:33 UTC 2016

On 08/18/2016 08:35 PM, Kyle Terrien via arch-general wrote:
> I haven't used PowerShell much.  But in briefly looking at it, the
> commands are very verbose compared to Unix/Linux.  E.g. grep is
> something like Get-Item.
>
> My Windows survival kit currently consists of Cygwin, which still kicks
> butt to this day.  You could even run a full X server under Cygwin.

This. Absolutely this.

Why would anyone want to use an overly-verbose scripting language like
PowerShell as an interactive shell, **unless it was their only option**?

I am sure someone will package it in the AUR. And I am sure some people
will actually use it -- probably just because they have legacy
PowerShell scripts/experience and/or they are interfacing with Windows.

But I don't see it being very popular, and certainly not enough to be
sponsored in the main repos.

--
Eli Schwartz