[arch-general] Opinions on PowerShell?

Hunter Connelly blueblur112198 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:28:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 09:00:33PM -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Why would anyone want to use an overly-verbose scripting language like
> PowerShell as an interactive shell, **unless it was their only option**?

While I tend to prefer Unix-style shells, there are *some* things that
PowerShell does better.

Here's an example I found on Reddit in the thread about this on /r/linux.
Both of the following commands find the size and name of the three largest files
in a directory.

Bash:        ls -l | sed 's/ \+/,/g' | cut -d',' -f 5,9 | sort -g | tail -3
PowerShell:  ls -file | sort -pr length | select length, name -l 3

What seems to be the most noticable difference is that PowerShell, being an
object-oriented language, pipes objects instead of raw text. I think this might
make many things easier while writing scripts.