[arch-general] Opinions on PowerShell?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:49:49 UTC 2016

On 08/18/2016 09:28 PM, Hunter Connelly via arch-general wrote:
> While I tend to prefer Unix-style shells, there are *some* things that
> PowerShell does better.
>
> Here's an example I found on Reddit in the thread about this on /r/linux.
> Both of the following commands find the size and name of the three largest files
> in a directory.
>
> Bash:        ls -l | sed 's/ \+/,/g' | cut -d',' -f 5,9 | sort -g | tail -3
> PowerShell:  ls -file | sort -pr length | select length, name -l 3
>
> What seems to be the most noticable difference is that PowerShell, being an
> object-oriented language, pipes objects instead of raw text. I think this might
> make many things easier while writing scripts.

Excellent, let us programmatically parse the contents of `ls`!

What, exactly, is wrong with the bash command:
find . -maxdepth 1 -printf '%s %p\n'|sort -nr|head -3

I will agree that if your godawful bash command was what you had to
compare to PowerShell, then PowerShell would be better...

But by all means, pick and choose, then compare bad bash to good
PowerShell if you feel it makes your point better.

As for objects, if you feel you need them you are probably doing
something complex enough to justify an actual scripted programming
language e.g. Python.
But I doubt you have that great a need for an interactive shell.

--
Eli Schwartz