[arch-general] Mutt Compile-time Configuration

Bruno Pagani bruno.pagani at ens-lyon.org
Fri Aug 19 23:39:28 UTC 2016

I think that the packager just didn’t see this addition and only bounced the pkgver. There is an open ticket about this: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/50445.

>Can someone more familiar than myself explain why a packager would
>decide to do this?  In other words, what are the general considerations
>for including certain options at compile-time?  (In this particular
>case, the sidebar would not be turned on until configured in the
>muttrc,
>so compiling the option into the package would not affect those who do
>not want it.)

It depends on a lot of things I think. Overhead of the option (in terms of dependencies especially, but also size, etc.), likelyhood of being use by a majority of users, whether it’s upstream default/recommandation…

But in this particular case, like I said, I think that the packager just didn’t see that there was this new option, and since it’s not on by default…

So just upvote the ticket if it’s not yours, and wait for the packager to react there. ;)

Bruno