[arch-general] Mutt Compile-time Configuration

Dutch Ingraham stoa at gmx.us
Fri Aug 19 23:09:06 UTC 2016

Hello all:

Mutt 1.7.0 was just released.[1] One new feature is the sidebar, which
up to now required a patched version of mutt from the AUR.  However, it is a
compile-time option and it appears as though the Arch packager has decided
to not enable it (my muttrc will throw an error if I try and configure
the sidebar.)

Can someone more familiar than myself explain why a packager would
decide to do this?  In other words, what are the general considerations
for including certain options at compile-time?  (In this particular
case, the sidebar would not be turned on until configured in the muttrc,
so compiling the option into the package would not affect those who do
not want it.)

Thanks for your replies.

[1]https://marc.info/?l=mutt-users&m=147154326009383