[arch-general] Laptop cooling fan does not work

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Tue Aug 23 17:49:21 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 07:38:51PM +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this should provide the Linux stuff versions:
>
> core/libutil-linux 2.28.1-1 [Installiert]
> core/linux 4.7.1-1 (base) [Installiert]
> core/linux-api-headers 4.7-1 [Installiert]
> core/linux-firmware 20160730.6bc2c60-1 [Installiert]
> core/util-linux 2.28.1-1 (base base-devel) [Installiert]
>
> However, the problem is probably related to the video card (as overheating
> appears when some OpenGL game is running):
>
> extra/nvidia 370.23-1 [Installiert]
> extra/nvidia-utils 370.23-1 [Installiert]
> extra/opencl-nvidia 370.23-1 [Installiert]
> community/nvidia-cg-toolkit 3.1-4 [Installiert]
>
> Laptop is from Tuxedo (can I get the modell number somehow from my linux
> system, instead of looking into the invoice?):
>
> Tuxedo Book XC1704 with Geforce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5
>
> Kind regards
> Peter

A good way to provide an overview of your hardware is the "lspci"
command.

Have you tried downgrading your system and seeing if the problem
remains? This should usually be the first step in troubleshooting a bad
update.

Additionally, can you describe in more detail what exactly the problem
is? Nearly all laptop chipsets have BIOS-controlled fans, so unless you
have some unusual software running, the kernel / video card drivers
shouldn't be messing with the fans unless you explicitly set something
up to do so.

--Sean