[arch-general] Laptop cooling fan does not work

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Tue Aug 23 18:21:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 08:14:47PM +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> Downgrading the Nvidia driver does not seem to be a good idea, as version
> 367.35 has a dependency on linux<4.7.
>
> As both, the graphics driver and the Linux OS, need to be downgraded
> simultaneously, this will not show which causes the problem.

Ah, but at this point you don't know if either of those packages are the
source of your problem. Downgrading them both could give some
information. Try it.

And again I ask, please describe precisely what the problem is. So far
all I have gotten are vague clues from your messages.

> The second option is to replace the Nvidia driver with the Nouveau driver -
> I've to read about this first, as the driver evolves and probably supports
> more features as when I checked this last time.

Sure, Nouveau is worth a try. If it works for your needs, I suggest
using it over the proprietary driver.

--Sean