[arch-general] Laptop cooling fan does not work

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Tue Aug 23 18:59:29 UTC 2016

Am 23.08.2016 um 20:21 schrieb Sean Greenslade:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 08:14:47PM +0200, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
>> Downgrading the Nvidia driver does not seem to be a good idea, as version
>> 367.35 has a dependency on linux<4.7.
>>
>> As both, the graphics driver and the Linux OS, need to be downgraded
>> simultaneously, this will not show which causes the problem.
>
> Ah, but at this point you don't know if either of those packages are the
> source of your problem. Downgrading them both could give some
> information. Try it.
>
> And again I ask, please describe precisely what the problem is. So far
> all I have gotten are vague clues from your messages.

Usually, when the laptop warmed up, a loud noise from some fan arised -
this has gone. As some other fan seems to vary its speed silently, it
seems that the graphic card's fan is the problem - it seems not to work
anyway. :-(

Is it possible to start the fan manually?

There seems to be sth. wrong with my Nvidia settings, nvidia-settings
shows an error that X is incorrectly configured and my vidieo card seems
not to be used - probably this causes the problems. Maybe this is caused
by some update or sth. else. I'll check that next weekend.

Peter