[arch-general] Laptop cooling fan does not work

Jayesh Badwaik archlinux at jayeshbadwaik.in
Tue Aug 23 19:10:29 UTC 2016

> There seems to be sth. wrong with my Nvidia settings, nvidia-settings
> shows an error that X is incorrectly configured and my vidieo card
> seems not to be used - probably this causes the problems. Maybe this
> is caused by some update or sth. else. I'll check that next weekend.

Okay, first you must install lm_sensors package and run
$ sensors

command. This will tell you about your fan speed for the processor.
Next, if the CPU processor is running, determine which driver are you
using. For this, you need to do lsmod, which lists all the modules
listed (this should contain your video driver module)

$ lsmod | grep -i nvidia

$ lsmod | grep -i nouveau

At least one the above should return something. nouveau is the open
source driver.

--
Cheers
Jayesh Badwaik