[arch-general] Apple Super Drive and Arch Linux?

L. Rose lists at lrose.de
Wed Dec 7 22:04:24 UTC 2016

Hi,

has anyone used the Apple Super Drive external DVD writer with Arch
Linux yet? You need to send some magic byte sequence to enable it. The
method [0] has worked for me on all debian-based distributions I've used
so far, but as I tried it on my Arch Linux today, it didn't work.

 1. Super Drive is not visible as /dev/sr0 after being plugged in, only
    as /dev/bus/usb/001/0xx
 2. "sudo sg_raw /dev/bus/usb/001/010 EA 00 00 00 00 00 01" fails with
    error message "do_scsi_pt: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

lsusb lists "Bus 001 Device 010: ID 05ac:1500 Apple, Inc. SuperDrive
[A1379]" and dmesg says "usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 10
using xhci_hcd". I installed sg3_utils from extra.

I suspect Arch Linux being the problem, since it worked on debian
before. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Lukas

[0]: https://christianmoser.me/use-apples-usb-superdrive-with-linux/