[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Mon Feb 8 01:39:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:58:19AM +0100, Ivan wrote:
> 1. Udev...

You don't need udev in most cases. For instance, on a workstation, you can
simply create device nodes by hand.

> 2. Packaging...

Not an issue really.

> 2.1. Repositories... core, extra, community and multilib would not need

People who would be running an alternative init system wouldn't need much
support.

> I realize that there are a lot more things to be discussed about this.

And here is a can of worms. What are you going to do with logind and various
desktop integrations? What about systemd-tmpfiles snippets that do magic in
the background?

Regarding former, before you say consolekit2, it's not an answer. Yes, systemd
may be getting in too many places, but the previous state of affairs was not
better (I think everyone would agree that ck is a broken concept). Also, don't
forget about wayland. I strongly suspect that it is not going to run without
logind.

Regarding latter, you'll have to roll out lots of install files in existing
packages, even those that have no relation to an init system.

You see, by itself, systemd is a stupid and irrelevant piece of software. It is
things around it that create real problems...

HTH,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4