[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Ivan parazyd at dyne.org
Mon Feb 8 05:02:34 UTC 2016

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:58:19AM +0100, Ivan wrote:
>
> > I realize that there are a lot more things to be discussed about this.
>
> And here is a can of worms. What are you going to do with logind and various
> desktop integrations? What about systemd-tmpfiles snippets that do magic in
> the background?
>
> Regarding former, before you say consolekit2, it's not an answer. Yes, systemd
> may be getting in too many places, but the previous state of affairs was not
> better (I think everyone would agree that ck is a broken concept). Also, don't
> forget about wayland. I strongly suspect that it is not going to run without
> logind.

While I don't think it's time to debate consolekit yet, I would have to
say that it currently is an option.
Gnome (being made systemd-dependent) can still be patched to work
without systemd. Wayland is also proven to run without systemd. Though I
am not sure what will happen with future development (see your last two
sentences)...

> Regarding latter, you'll have to roll out lots of install files in existing
> packages, even those that have no relation to an init system.
>
> You see, by itself, systemd is a stupid and irrelevant piece of software. It is
> things around it that create real problems...

Hypothetically, if Arch Linux was to adopt an alternative init, it's a
process that does not happen overnight. Through time, solutions will
surface. I'm not a magic lamp genie that has all the answers.