[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Jack L. Frost fbt at fleshless.org
Mon Feb 8 07:17:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:58:19AM +0100, Ivan wrote:
> Hello, I have a proposal for Arch Linux developers and by mailing
> on this list I would also appreciate feedback from non-developers that
> use Arch Linux.

It's not reasonable to demand Arch devs maintain several init systems.
You can pretty easily maintain that out of the main repos for yourself
and others.

There are several maintained solutions already.
http://systemd-free.org details one such solution (openrc + sysvinit).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Runit there's also runit.
https://fleshless.org/pages/spark.html I have a personal solution.

And there are others I can't quite remember right now.

Let the dev team focus on a stable base and modify it if you need to.