[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Ivan parazyd at dyne.org
Mon Feb 8 08:34:27 UTC 2016

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016, Leonid Isaev wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 06:02:34AM +0100, Ivan wrote:
> > Hypothetically, if Arch Linux was to adopt an alternative init, it's a
> > process that does not happen overnight. Through time, solutions will
> > surface. I'm not a magic lamp genie that has all the answers.
>
> Then you have to ask yourself, what defines a distribution. If you are going to
> bring in ck, patch polkit, gnome, kde, xfce, etc, and introduce customizations
> to lots of other packages, isn't it easier to start from gentoo or alpine and
> maintain pacman for those distros? I am asking because you are going to
> duplicate a fair share of official repos...

Well, for starters, Arch isn't just about pacman. I get the feeling you
think it is. For me, the "killer" features of Arch are the AUR and its
huge, excellent community. I could just run off and start a new distro,
but this is not the point.

I realize, and I've talked about it in one of the previous emails where
I discussed the way packages could/should be built.