[arch-general] X keeps crashing

Joakim Hernberg jhernberg at alchemy.lu
Wed Feb 10 13:58:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, 09 Feb 2016 18:55:09 +0100
SET <nmset at netcourrier.com> wrote:

> I started to have exactly the same problem on my new HP laptop,
> complete UI and peripheral freeze. By just pulling out the power
> cord, the system instantly becomes responsive again and I can
> continue work normally. It won't appear again until next reboot,
> always randomly. I always find a vgaarb error in everything.log at
> the very moment of the lockup :
>
> Feb  9 08:03:47 hp2 kernel: [70005.222588] vgaarb: this pci device is
> not a vga device
>
> The above line is also logged without any system freeze.

I think the above line is logged on systems that have both intel
and nvidia gpus.  The system runs on the intel, so the nvidia can only
be used with optirun.  Unlikely to be the problem.  If you are using
KDE, it seems a little iffy on some intel hardware right now, maybe try
software rendering instead of opengl?

--

   Joakim