[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

João Miguel jmcf125 at openmailbox.org
Fri Feb 12 14:27:40 UTC 2016

> >now there are no AUR packages for OpenRC.
> You are wrong, please be more specific.
Sorry, I mean Artoo's way is no longer available in the AUR. openrc-core
and all init srcipts he posted are gone (because of the bad community
pressure, which was my point).

> This is current situation:
>
> - run AL without using systemd as PID1 / init system :
> Aur and AL wiki have everything you need for that.
Apg's way. Many people were using Artoo's.
> You will still have systemd installed and use udev from it.

> - remove systemd completely from AL :
> Some people do that, but documentation how to do this was removed from wiki.
For no good reason (confirming my point). See it from my perspective:
I'm using eudev, openrc-core, never had trouble, then suddenly
all documentation and packages just disappear.

> The aur packages that helped with this setup were removed by the
> creator/maintainer.
Again, because of a community pressure, he was peacefully contributing
before. If some people didn't push him to do things their way, he
would've happily stayed contributing packages to the AUR which were
better documented than some official ones. No dev/TU work required. Just
people accepting other people.

It's ok now not because of the wiki and the AUR, but thanks to the
existence of systemd-free.org. It had to be created because of the
above, which would'nt have happened with a better community.

João Miguel