[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Maxwell Anselm silverhammermba at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:16:49 UTC 2016

> Someone already talked about putting it back in the forums. They were
> turned down because of those points («no reason for 2 methods», etc.).
> This among other things (which are evident in any discussion in Arch
> about OpenRC) signals a bad community.

When it comes to Linux there are often many ways to accomplish the same
goal. On the Arch wiki we try, wherever possible, to only mention the
"right way" of doing things. Solutions that fix a particular problem while
making other things worse are removed. The difficulty with OpenRC is that
it is very hard to replace systemd without a) replacing a lot of
packages, b) significantly complicating system maintenance and, c) straight
up breaking your system; so when it comes to choosing the "right way" to
replace systemd with OpenRC, the answer isn't clear. Alad made the call
that apg's approach was "better" than artoo's and so removed artoo's from
the wiki article.

I can understand how that might be frustrating for some users, but please
try to see how this isn't some systemd conspiracy to stifle users choice
and this isn't a sign of a bad community. It's simply a matter of providing
a single clear set of instructions on the wiki for users who wish to switch
to OpenRC. Is the systemd-free approach better? I don't know, but Alad
seems to think that it was causing a significant number of problems for
many users on the forums. Can we stop you from using alternative means of
switching to OpenRC? Nope!

If you want to make OpenRC easier to use on Arch, here's how:
1. Get more involved in the AUR to develop more/better OpenRC-specific
packages
2. Draft a new OpenRC wiki article on your User page
3. Work on 1 and 2 until you feel like you have a clearly superior method
4. Open a discussion on the OpenRC talk page about replacing the article
(this will most likely involved discussion on your User page as well on how
to improve your draft)
5. Success

Max