[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

respiranto respiranto at icloud.com
Sat Feb 13 19:42:21 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-13 17:35, João Miguel wrote:
> The decision was to have systemd as a default, not to forbid any other
> init system to be mentioned. I don't agree with the OP of this thread
> when he said there should be an official version of Arch with OpenRC,
> that's too much work.
>
> I mean this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:JMCF125/OpenRC
> should be here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC. So that
> this: http://systemd-free.org/ is not necessary, but instead just a nice
> plus.
>
> Best regards,
> João Miguel

I agree with you on the point, that the possibility of choice should not
be suppressed, but instead be welcome on the Wiki.
However, I also see how having two ways of doing something rather
unusual and officially unsupported may create notable confusion or at
least makes the article hard to read.

Hence I would suggest creating a totally new Wiki entry which explains
solely artoo's way, named e.g. 'OpenRC (eudev)'.
To prevent identical sections of both articles, your one should only
address the differences, i.e. sections 1{,.3} (Installation and Booting)
and 2.3 (Network) and some notes on further differences.
Obviously, the two articles should point to each other as a respective
alternative.