[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Tue Feb 16 21:51:39 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 05:58:38PM +0100, Bardur Arantsson wrote:

> Again... no "use case" apart from "I don't want to use systemd".

That seems like a reasonable use case to me.  My previous desktop box ran
Arch.  After setting it up Arch switched to systemd.  When it came time to
upgrade to a new desktop box I switched to Gentoo because I didn't want to
use systemd.  If the Arch devs had given users a choice of a systemd
alternative I probably would have stuck with Arch.

I was recently impressed with Arch.  I fired up my retired desktop PC after
it had been shut down for about a year.  I wanted to see of Kodi would run
well enough on it to use it as a Kodi box.  I had to remove a couple of
packages I didn't need any more, and delete a couple of files to work around
some conflicts, but after that pacman updated something like 800 packages
without a hitch.  I love most things about pacman, except some of its naming
conventions.  Synchronizing a package to install it never made sense to me.
Back when I was using Arch regularly I ended up creating a wrapper script
that called pacman, package-query, yaourt, pacaur, etc., depending on what I
was doing.  So on my Arch box, applying updates usually looks something
like:

    pdr update

    pdr lu

    pdr upgrade

The second command lists updates.  I usually like to list what's going to be
updated including old and new version numbers before updating.

Anyway, if I use the old box as a Kodi box I'll probably stick with Arch on
it, at least for a while.  There are a lot of things I miss about Arch.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.