[arch-general] Error message with full disk encryption

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 10:59:52 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 4:40 AM, Jonathan Horacio Villatoro Córdoba
<lacho8713 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 07:49:59PM +0100, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 5:23 PM, PeLo L <pelo99 at outlook.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > adding 'shutdown' hook doesn't seem to work. Modifying '/etc/fstab'
>> > and replacing the UUID with  '/dev/mapper/crypt-boot' did the trick.
>>
>> I've never used UUID volume id and still see the bug.
>
> Which you using, the encrypted boot volume's UUID or its label on the fstab
> entry?
>
> Upon looking into [1], it seems that there's no need for the 'shutdown' hook,
> as long as the boot loader is configured properly.
>
> Thought I might share the links, as I know the full system encryption page can
> be a bit confusing to follow, regardless of your experience.
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Configuring_mkinitcpio_5
> [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Configuring_the_boot_loader_5

I've identified dm-1 to be the luks-swap partition, and it's the only one
mounted via fstab, because / is mounted via initrd and the kernel cmdline.

So I have /dev/mapper/swap in fstab with the matching entry in /etc/crypttab,
using a random key for re-initializing the swap luks device.

As a bootloader I use syslinux.