[arch-general] archwiki (readline) Disabling control echo no longer working, and ~ not shown until 2nd char typed?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Feb 20 07:52:07 UTC 2016

On 02/19/2016 03:05 PM, Martti Kühne wrote:
>>   Also in this process, I noticed when I type '~' (e.g. like ~/tmp) the '~' is
>> > not echoed until the 2nd character is pressed. This is confusing. I've looked at
>> > /etc/inputrc and do not see anything that appears to suppress echo of '~' (or I
>> > was too dumb to recognize it). What is preventing the '~' from being echoed when
>> > it is typed as the first character? How do I fix it so it always is shown? (I'm
>> > using default BASH as the shell)
> I have that same behavior as well because I want it like that. I'm not
> sure what terminal emulator you're using, since the linux console
> works differently compared to X11 terminal emulators in that regard.
> In X11, I have them as xmodmap keys of the sort dead_* which are
> loaded from ~/.Xmodmap in my window manager startup script.
>
> I can tell you this much: Using your new "dead" tilde you can now
> create letters like ñ, ã, õ, ẽ etc.

Thanks Martti,

  Well, this has become somewhat of a mystery now. I don't run X on the arch box
that is giving me trouble. In fact I have 2 servers running current Arch, one
built in August (it has the no print ~ until 2nd char problem), the other server
I built several years ago with a fresh install after the big libc move (/lib ->
/usr/lib). It works fine when I press the ~ (no waiting on the second char).

  Where is the likely difference in the config that controls this behavior? I
access the servers through the same x-term (well, konsole) so it isn't a
difference in the terminal used between one and the other, LOCALE is identical
on both. I'll pick though the relevant files in /etc, but if you know where this
setting lives, I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.